7TH INTERNATIONAL MEETING FOR THE RESTORATION OF THE ACROPOLIS MONUMENTS
The Acropolis Monuments Preservation Service (YSMA) and the Acropolis Monuments Preservation Committee (ESMA), in collaboration with the General Secretariat of Culture, the Ephorate of Antiquities of the City of Athens and the Acropolis Museum, organize the 7th International Meeting on the Restoration of Monuments “The restoration works on the Acropolis. The new programs “. The Meeting will be held on 11, 12 and 13 November 2021, at the Acropolis Museum and online.
According to the APE-MPE, the purpose of the Meeting – as stated in the relevant announcement – is to make public the current and completed projects to the scientists and the general public and to discuss proposals for the upcoming programs, with emphasis on the restoration work of the western access and the work of restoring the walls of the Acropolis. Due to the restrictions imposed by the pandemic, it was chosen to hold the Meeting in hybrid form. As a result, under the current health protocols, a limited number of delegates will have the opportunity to attend the Living Meeting, while a larger number of delegates will be able to attend the proceedings online and ask questions through a specially designed platform. The proceedings of the Meeting will be broadcast live on the YSMA channel on Youtube (Youtube: Acropolis Restoration Service) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V8MJXT86ec
The theme of the conference is developed around the following axes:
1) Report on the restoration project implemented during the intervening period of the 6th International Meeting and the projects to upgrade the accessibility and highlight the archaeological site.
2) Analysis of theoretical approaches to the issue of restoration of ancient monuments, historical background and contemporary reflection.
3) Presentation of the study for the restoration of the western access to the archeological site of the Acropolis.
4) Presentation of the Strategic Plan of intervention on the walls of the Acropolis.
5) Examples from the international experience in restoration and promotion of archeological sites.
On the second day of the Meeting (November 12) the delegates attending the conference will have the opportunity to be guided to the archaeological site of the Acropolis and to be informed about the planned interventions.
The work of the Meeting will be completed on the third day (November 13), with a discussion on the theoretical principles of intervention in monuments and on the specific proposals presented in the previous days. During the first session of the day, the questions that will have been submitted to the digital platform will be answered.
In parallel with the work of the Meeting, an exhibition of drawings of the studies under consideration is organized in the periodical exhibition hall of the Acropolis Museum, which will have the opportunity to visit the delegates who attend the work in person at the Museum. The Meeting will be held in Greek and English. The program of the Meeting and other useful information are available on the website www.ysma7thmeeting.gr